A New Way to Treat PTSD, Concussions, and Traumatic Brain Injuries with Dr. Erik Won
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Erik Won, the President of Wave Neuroscience, Inc; a biotechnology company that has innovated a breakthrough technology called Magnetic e-Resonance Therapy (MeRT). This technology utilizes computational neuroanalytics and brain imaging to customize treatment protocols with the aim of restoring optimal neurological function. Dr. Won joined Wave Neuroscience after serving as the Chief Physician and Chief Technology Officer for a Fortune 50 Aerospace company. He also served as a US Navy Flight Surgeon for Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 268, and received the distinction of serving as the ACE (Aviation Combat Element) Flight Surgeon for the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable).
Dr. Won has been published in numerous peer-reviewed journals and, textbooks, and presented in numerous academic conferences. He completed his residency at the Harvard OEM combined residency program and was appointed Chief Resident. He received an MPH from the Harvard School of Public Health and an MBA from the University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Won talk about Magnetic e-Resonance Therapy (MeRT) and how it could address mental health disorders and revolutionize brain-based medicine. They discuss why the rate of suicide among veterans is twice that of the general population, the current standard of care for PTSD, and how MeRT can improve PTSD and traumatic brain injury outcomes. They also talk about how one night of poor quality sleep impacts the brain and what we need to know about the brain’s detoxification system.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Won’s experience in the Navy and the impact it had on his life (3:14)
- What people don’t understand about being an active service member and the transition from military to civilian life (7:10)
- The connection between PTSD and suicide (14:44)
- What is MeRT therapy (20:33)
- How does MeRT therapy works and what takes place during a typical session (24:41)
- What conditions MeRT therapy can be used for (38:26)
- How the glymphatic system plays a key role in removing brain waste while you sleep (45:19)
- The difference between structural damage and functional damage in the brain (54:05)
- Learn more about Wave Neuroscience and where you can find clinics offering MeRT therapy (1:02:31)
- Dr. Won’s own experience using MeRT (1:06:32)
- The risks and side effects of MeRT therapy (1:07:28)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD